Health Benefits Of Black Coffee
If you are a fan of your morning cup of java, you may have heard a million times about the health benefits of straight black coffee. If you are a fitness enthusiast and a regular gym goer then probably black coffee acts as your pre-workout drink and provides you with the right amount of caffeine for a killer workout. There are multiple advantages of black coffee, a beverage mainly consumed across the globe. India is among the top 10 coffee producers in the world with most production happening in the south Indian states of Kerela, Tamil Nadu, and Karnataka.
Black coffee is well known to be low in calories and aids in fat loss when simply brewed without any addition of sweeteners, creamers, milk, or sugar. When you leave out all these external factors you can consume the benefits of coffee at their full capacity which is consuming the antioxidants and nutrients with zero sugar and zero fat. This article reviews the various advantages of black coffee and how it can be helpful for you to include this drink in your routine.
Black Coffee Nutrition Value
For every cup or 240 ML of black coffee, you get:
- Fiber - 0 grams
- Caffeine - 96 Mg
- Riboflavin - 14% of your daily value
- Niacin - 3% of your daily value
- Thiamin - 3% of your daily value
- Potassium - 3% of your daily value
- Calories - 2
- Protein - 0 grams
- Fat - 0 grams
Coffee also contains smaller amounts of other vitamins and minerals along with polyphenols which are known to be beneficial plant compounds.
Are There Any Advantages of Black Coffee?
In order to figure out the various benefits of black coffee read more:
Potential Cancer Prevention A few scientific research studies have reached the conclusion that black coffee can reduce or prevent the risk of developing cancers such as breast cancer, colorectal cancer, and liver cancer. Even though more evident and concrete proof is required in order to prove that coffee has a direct relation with the prevention of cancer it is believed that its antioxidant properties help fight free radicals formed in your body which can lead to infections.
Better Mood Have you ever noticed how pop culture, memes, and social media are always hyping the importance of coffee to function normally every morning? Yes, that is because black coffee consists largely of caffeine which is a stimulant for your brain and a mood-booster. Many studies have linked the effect of your beloved cup of java to an improved mood and reduced risk of depression.
Diabetes Management Individuals who drink coffee regularly are at a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes. A study conducted with a group of individuals who are non-diabetic showed that for every extra cup of coffee, the risk of diabetes was reduced by 11%. However, if you are someone who has already been diagnosed with type-2 diabetes, black coffee can increase your insulin and blood sugar levels.
Drinking Black Coffee For Weight Loss If I had a dollar for every time someone told me about the benefits of black coffee for fitness and weight loss, I would be a millionaire by now! I am sure, you have heard something similar as well. However, there is no strong evidence-based connection of coffee inducing weight loss but consuming black coffee could help you with weight control. A study has found out that individuals who drink caffeine, or caffeinated drinks are less likely to gain weight than those who cut down on black coffee.
Keeps Alzheimer's At Bay A few scientific studies have linked the connection of consuming coffee to a reduced risk of developing Alzheimer's disease and dementia. As we all know coffee is directly related to increasing attention span and alertness, and caffeine is responsible for better cognitive functioning.
Prevents Cirrohsis Some properties present in black coffee have a direct relation with the prevention of liver cirrhosis. It is a type of chronic liver illness that is characterized by fibrosis. Fibrosis means the scarring and eventual death of the liver tissue. Many doctors prescribe drip coffee per day to their liver patients in order to prevent cirrhosis.
Types Of Black Coffee Roasts
There are various kinds of roasts when it comes to coffee, it is a beverage that is prepared in various different ways and consumed with different ingredients. Coffee beans are roasted at different temperatures to bring out different flavors within. You can purchase your black coffee beans as per your roast preferences such as
- Light Roast
- Medium Roast
- Dark Roast
How To Prepare Black Coffee For Weight Loss
There are multiple ways to drink coffee but if you are looking towards managing your weight and drinking it as a pre-workout drink here is how you can prepare a cup of coffee. Choose fresh high-quality coffee beans rather than packaged processed coffee as they are packed with flavours and do not taste as bitter as processed packaged shelf coffee which is meant to last you for almost a year
- Pour-over method - Place filter paper in a cone, add your coffee grind to the filter paper, and pour hot water over the grind in a circular motion till the coffee bubbles. Stir the mix three times and leave for 30 seconds. Let the coffee drip into a glass and wait for approximately 3 minutes before consuming your hot cup of freshly brewed coffee.
- French Press- You will need a French press for this kind of coffee brew. Bring enough water to a boil for your coffee, and while the water boils grind your coffee beans to a coarse consistency. Bloom the coffee by simply pouring hot water in the French espresso where you have added the coffee powder and stir it twice with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Espresso shot - You will need an espresso machine and a weighing scale to measure your coffee in order to make the perfect espresso. Fine grind coffee beans in order to achieve a smooth coffee powder and evenly spread it in the portafilter of the coffee machine. Attach the portafilter to the coffee machine and let it seep coffee with boiled water into your small espresso cup. Add milk to the espresso shot in case you crave a latte!
- The Cold Brew Method - Use finely ground coffee powder, combine the coffee ground with water for 12 to 14 hours and let it seep overnight. Strain the mixture next morning, pour it in a glass and add some ice cold water or cold milk in order to enjoy your cold brew!
Wrapping It Up
There are various advantages of black coffee for an individual if you develop a taste for it and can get your hands on fresh ground coffee beans rather than over-the-shelf coffee brands. If you want optimal energy levels and a good pre-workout drink, coffee can serve the purpose of providing you with happy hormones and relieving stress. Drinking coffee just for weight loss is not recommended as there is no direct evidence that it helps in weight loss but it definitely aids in weight management. So grab yourself a hot cuppa and enjoy the various health benefits in a mug.