Home Remedies to Treat a Viral Fever at Home
Viral fever, often referred to as a febrile viral disease, is a widespread seasonal health risk that affects people of all ages. It's not something new for humankind. According to health experts, we have been confronting these viral fevers and viral types of pneumonia since the origin of mankind.
However, a viral fever is any fever that may occur due to a viral infection. The sudden change in weather and a temperature rise are the few factors behind viral fever. Further, airborne infections mainly trigger viral fever from the air we breathe and are also transmitted from an infected person.
A fever may last anywhere from a couple of days to a week, based on the types of infection causing it. While the virus runs its course, there are different types of homemade remedies for viral fever you can take to improve your overall health.
Symptoms of Viral Fever
Viral fever is the most common illness and usually isn't something to worry about. It's just a temporary rise in body temperature over the expected levels of 98.6°F (37°C). It is simply a human's body response to any viral/bacterial/parasitic attack and begins generating an immune system. But when the viral fever crosses some level, it can pose serious health risks. However, it can range in body temperature from 99°F to over 103°F (39°C), based on the underlying virus.
For New Born Babies and Minors
A viral fever, whether mild, moderate, or severe, can be more harmful for newborn babies and minors than adults.
- If kids between the ages of 0 and 3 months have a rectal temperature of 100.4°F (38°C) or higher, then a parent should call a doctor.
- Minors between the ages of 3 to 6 months have a rectal temperature of 102°F (38°C), and they seem sick and sleepy, reach out to your health expert.
- Kids between the ages of 6 and 8 months have a rectal temperature of 102°F (39°C) and lasts more than a day. You should call a doctor if they also seem sick with rash, cough, or diarrhea symptoms.
For Youngsters and Adults
Sometimes, a viral fever can also be dangerous for youngsters and adults. Call your doctor if your temperature is 103 F (39.4 C) or higher and lasts over three days. The body temperature at or above 104 °F is known as hyperpyrexia and is considered immediate medical care. Also, seek treatment if a fever is accompanied by the following:
- Pulsating Headache
- Sensitivity to bright light
- Often vomiting
- Hard to breath
- Pain in the chest or abdominal
- Convulsions or seizures
Indian Home Remedies for Viral Fever
We've curated a list of the top 5 simple Indian home remedies to cure viral fever:
Turmeric and Ginger Turmeric and ginger are perfect spices packed with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory compounds. It can be beneficial against respiratory viruses or viral fever, such as coughing, vomiting, increased sinus, and congestion.
- First, take a spoonful of pepper, turmeric, and ginger powder in one cup of water.
- Then start boiling the water, and when it's boiled, cool and drink it.
Basil (Tulsi)Basic, affectionately known among locals as Tulsi, contains several medical properties beneficial to cure viral fever. It is packed with vitamin C and has antibiotic properties, ideal for increasing immunity and treating fever better than other medicines.
- Take 10 - 15 basil leaves and a teaspoon of clove powder in one cup of water.
- Boil them in water till it comes down to half.
- After that, let it cool down, and drink it about 2 to 3 times daily until you get fit.
Coriander Tea Many health experts advise people to add coriander seed powder in boiling water to cure viral fever. However, coriander tea is packed with natural antibiotic compounds that help fight viral infections. It helps cure viral fever symptoms, such as a runny nose.
- Boil one cup of water: add coriander seed, half a cup of milk, and a little honey.
- Let it cool down, and drink it.
- Drinking coriander tea at least twice daily is beneficial until your viral symptoms are reduced.
Fenugreek (Methi Seeds) Water Fenugreek is affectionately known among locals as methi seeds and is readily available in Indian kitchens. It is packed with antiviral properties that help the immune system fight against various viral infections.
- Soak some methi seeds in water for an entire night.
- Next morning, filter it and drink it every hour.
- It'll reduce the symptoms of viral fever.
Lemon and Honey Lemon and honey are rich in antioxidant properties and beneficial in alleviating viral symptoms such as cold and flu. Take dry ginger and honey if you want instant relief from a blocked nose and a sore throat.
- Drink a teaspoon of lemon extract and honey into one cup of boiling water.
Usually, a viral fever is nothing to worry about, and you can quickly cure viral fever with Indian home remedies. If your symptoms don't improve, the temperature does not come down, and it lasts more than three days, you should call a doctor. If your symptoms do not get any better and your body temperature does not come down even after three days, consult your general physician immediately.