HDFC ERGO Health New iCan Cancer Insurance Plan (formerly known as Apollo Munich Health Insurance)
The New iCan Cancer Insurance Plan offered by HDFC ERGO Health Insurance (formerly known as Apollo Munich Health Insurance) never lets the insured give up. The plan will help the insured to fight cancer more easily by providing all the basic and advanced facilities required for the treatment of the disease. iCan Cancer insurance plan for women is available in the form of individual health insurance plans and family floater plans.
There are two variants of the iCan Cancer insurance plan:
1. iCan Essential
2. iCan Enhance
Features/ Benefits Of HDFC ERGO Health iCan Cancer (formerly known as Apollo Munich Health Insurance)
|Criteria||iCan Essential||iCan Enhance|
|Sum Insured Option||5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 50 (Rs. In Lakhs)||5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 50 (Rs. In Lakhs)|
|CritiCare Benefit: On diagnosis of cancer, of specified severity||Not available||60% of the sum insured as lump sum payment, over and above the base sum insured.|
|MyCare Benefit Covers in-patient, outpatient & daycare costs for|
- Conventional treatment, such as chemotherapy, radiotherapy, onco-surgery
- Advanced treatment such as targeted therapy, proton therapy, and immunotherapy
|Up to sum insured||Up to sum insured|
|FamilyCare Benefit: On Diagnosis of Stage IV cancer/ recurrence of cancer||Not available||100% of the sum insured as lump sum payment, over and above the base sum insured.|
|Emergency Ambulance||Rs 2000 is provided to the insured per hospitalization||The insured is provided with Rs.2000 per hospitalization|
|Follow-up Care Post Treatment||An amount of Rs. 3000 is provided twice a year for follow up care.||Rs. 3000 is provided under this.|
|Payout Basis||Cashless and reimbursement||Two lump sum payouts along with cashless and reimbursement|
|Waiting Period ||120 days of a waiting period is applicable||120 days of a waiting period is applicable|
|Minimum Entry Age To Buy iCan Cancer Policy||5 Years|
|Maximum Entry Age To Buy iCan Cancer Policy||65 Years|
|Family Care Benefits||18 years and above|
|CritiCare Benefits||All who are 18 years and above in age|
Estimated Expense For Cancer Related Surgery
HDFC Ergo iCan Cancer insurance plan mentions an approximate range of expenses for the treatment of cancer in any of its stages.
In surgery: The estimation says sum ranging between Rs.2,71,000 and Rs. 6,77,000 can be spent on the treatment of cancer.
Rs. 1 lakh to Rs. 3 Lakhs, for one cycle.
Cancer Drugs Expense:
- Stomach or Colon cancer - Rs. 8 lakhs for 8 courses
- Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia - Rs. 1,87,000 for weekly doses
- Lung Cancer, Rs. 1,61,000 - Rs.2,42,5000 for 6 cycles
- Stomach Cancer, Rs. 3,22,000 - Rs. 4,02, 450 for 6 cycles
Colon cancer - stage III/ IV, Rs. 4,83,000 - Rs. 6,03,700 for 6 cycles
Rs 75,000 to Rs. 1 Lakh per session.
For this, one should always be ready and the HDFC ERGO Health cancer insurance plan (formerly known as Apollo Munich Health Insurance) provides you with the same.
Other Benefits Of iCan Cancer Insurance Plan
Second OpinioniCan cancer insurance for women and individual/ family floater provides coverage for a second opinion from a specialist in certain cases depending upon the criticality of the cancer phase.
CritiCare BenefitIn case the insured is diagnosed with cancer then s/he gets a 60% lump sum payout of the sum insured. This is also applicable to cancer insurance for women.
This means if the insured sum is chosen is Rs. 20 lakhs then, in this case, the insured gets Rs. 12 lakhs as a lump sum and still the insured can use the base 20 lakhs, to meet the treatment expenses.
Cost-Effective ProtectionThe treatment of cancer might range between 20 lakhs to 50 lakhs and regular health insurance with such a high sum insured can result in a rise in the premium amount but in case of HDFC Ergo iCan Cancer insurance plan, the insured sum is provided at a lower premium comparatively.
Here is a table to compare the premiums in regular health plans and iCan Cancer insurance policy.
|Sum Insured||Annual Premium of a Regular health Insurance plan||Annual Premium Of iCan|
|20 Lakhs||Rs. 15,488||Rs. 1,251|
|25 Lakhs||Rs. 16,808||Rs. 1,281|
|50 Lakhs||Rs. 21.611||Rs. 2,114|
FamilyCare BenefitThere are cancer plans for family also. On diagnosis of stage IV cancer or recurrence of cancer, a 100% lump sum payment of the sum insured is provided to the policyholder.
So, in case the insured has a cover of Rs. 20 lakhs, s/he will get a lump sum amount of 20 lakhs and still, the policyholder is eligible to have the base 20 lakhs to cover the treatment expenses.
Lifelong Coverage for Cancer Treatment:There are high chances of recurrence of cancer in the first five years after the treatment. The plan does not stop giving coverage to its insured for a lifetime irrespective of medical state and age.
This is more beneficial in case of cancer insurance for women because with the increase in age the probability of occurrence of cancer increases in females. Cases of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, etc have been found in females as they increase in age.
Cashless Cancer Treatment:Cashless treatment for cancer is available at the widespread network hospitals of the HDFC ERGO Health Insurance (formerly known as Apollo Munich Health Insurance). Other than this there is hassle-free reimbursement of the expenses incurred in the treatment of cancer.
This also provides coverage to cancer insurance for women.
Two Add-on MyCare Benefit Covers
Here are mentioned the two MyCare benefit cover in details, that an insured can get under HDFC Ergo ican Cancer Insurance Policy:
Standard PlanThe plan covers expenses for hospitalization (Daycare and Inpatient) and outpatient treatment taken for cancer.
- List of conventional treatment that gets coverage are:
- Organ transplantation, as part of cancer transplantation
- Surgeries for excision of cancerous tissue or removal of organs/ tissue (Onco-surgery)
- All the pre-hospitalization medical expenses incurred within 30 days before the hospitalization date gets the coverage.
- Under post-hospitalization expenses, all the costing for treatment after the discharge from the hospitals gets the coverage.
- There is an ambulance coverage of Rs. 2000 per hospitalization in the case of an emergency.
- The follow-up care post gets coverage of Rs. 3000 twice a year.
Advanced PlanOther than the base cover following are mentioned things get coverage under the advanced plan:
- Personalized and targeted therapy.
- Immunotherapy including immunology agents e.g. Interferon, TNF, etc.
- Proton Beam Therapy
- Stem cell transplantation
- Hormonal therapy or endocrine manipulation
iCan Cancer Insurance Sample Premiums
A premium table has been mentioned for the enhanced plan and standard plans. The table mentioned the premium to be paid by both male and female insured separately under an individual plan.
Annual Premium Table - Enhanced Plan (Advanced) (Non-Smoker)
|Age (Male/Female)||SI 500,000 (M/F)||1,000,000 (M/F)||2,000,000 (M/F)||5,000,000 (M/F|
|5-10||685/ 633||784/ 710||985/ 835||1,658/ 1,345|
|18-25||1,064/ 1,139||1,162/ 1,264||1,351/ 1,596||2,518/ 3,336|
|31-35||1,172/ 1,680||1,335/ 2,469||2,012/ 4,307||4,187/ 9,207|
|41-45||1,631/ 3,216||2,488/ 5,517||4,254/ 9,848||8,998/ 21,739|
Annual Premium Table - Enhanced Plan (Standard) (Non-Smoker)
|Age (Male/Female)||SI 500,000 (M/F)||1,000,000 (M/F)||2,000,000 (M/F)||5,000,000 (M/F)|
|5-10||535/ 483||634/ 560||796/ 685||1,034/ 1,874|
|18-25||914/ 989||1,011/ 1,115||1,202/ 1,351||2,094/ 2,594|
|31-35||1,023/ 1,529||1,185/ 2,243||1,840/ 3,672||3,617/ 7,277|
|41-45||1,480/ 3,605||2,337/ 5,016||7,785/ 1,7906||7,785/ 1,7906|
Essential Facts To Remember
There are few facts one should always keep in mind for the plan. The same has been mentioned below:
- Renewal: iCan Cancer Insurance plan has lifelong renewability regardless of the number of claims you make or your health status.
- Waiting Period: A waiting period of 120 days is applicable under the plan. According to this, the insured can not avail of any medical facilities during the waiting period.
- Sum Insured Enhancement: The sum insured can be incremented as per the choice and requirement of the insured but at the time of policy renewal.
- Free Look Period: A free look period of 15 days is provided to the insured. In case of any dissatisfaction, the policy buyer has the full right to cancel the policy.
- Grace Period: A grace period of 30 days is provided to the policyholder. This is for in case the insured misses the date of policy renewal s/he still has 30 days notice period to get the policy renewed.
- Tax Benefit: The premiums paid under the plan are exempted from tax under section 80 D of the income tax act, 1961. The income tax laws are subject to change.
In case your treatment falls in the exclusion list then the claim might get rejected. So, here is a list of exclusions under iCan Cancer Insurance Policy and iCan Cancer Insurance Plan for women:
- Non-allopathic treatment
- Any treatment other than cancer
- Congenital external diseases, defects, and anomalies
- Pre-existing condition for cancer for which the insured has existing signs & symptoms, and/or was diagnosed, and/or received consultation, investigation, treatment or admission anytime prior to the date on which policy was issued.
- Prosthetic and other devices which are self-detachable, removable without surgery involving anesthesia.
- “AIDs” and other infections with HIV including but not limited to conditions related to or arising out of HIV/AIDs such as ARC, Lymphomas in the brain, Kaposi’s sarcoma, tuberculosis.
- Treatment availed outside India or at a healthcare facility which is not a hospital.
HDFC Ergo iCan Cancer Insurance Plan Review
The plan is highly recommended to women looking for cancer cover. The plan has procedures for cancer insurance for women. Both smoker and non-smoker insured have given positive feedback for HDFC ERGO Health iCan Cancer insurance policy (formerly known as Apollo Munich Health Insurance). The policy has positive feedback from its insured and is worth buying.